FOLLOW BY EMAIL:

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Annual Cromwell Court Block Party, May 2014

This year was the 2nd Annual Cromwell Court Block Party. I had been wanting to have these every year since we moved in, but last year was our first year. The Smiths moved away a few months ago, so I asked the Lansdowns if they would be up for helping us host. I was fine with using our yard, our chairs/tables and grill and doing the cooking (Seth) and buying all the supplies, but knew that it wasn't feasible for us to purchase everything, so they chipped in some money and it worked out great! We provided drinks, burgers, hotdogs, brats, and the fixings. We also bought the plates and such. Everyone brought a dessert or a side plus a chair and everything turned out awesome!!

Seth has tried to convince me to change the date to earlier in May because of weather (it would be cooler) and holiday busyness, but I feel like it would be harder to get everyone together on a random Saturday night than on a Monday evening before people start work, even if it is a holiday. By 6pm on Memorial Day, most people are done with their weekend plans and are home. Since the party is in our front yard, there's no travel time to or from. And we have nearly everyone attend both of the last two years, so it's a good set-up, I think. AND the weather this time was absolutely perfect. It was warm, but not too warm, there was a slight breeze and flies, but no mosquitos!

My biggest regret is that I didn't get everyone to pose together in one group. We have new people on the street this year and I'd love to start having yearly group shots to see how people change year to year. Someone help me remember that for next year! I had set out more tables for food and that worked better than last year (I remembered wishing for more table space last year). I also hope to get some of those screen food tents for next year because we had plates sitting on top of the food because of the abundance of flies!
the whole crew
Grill Master 
Shannon and Theresa
Chad, Cory (the new guys, twins), Jaime 
I liked the light dots, but he's grouchy. 
David, Raymond, John with Evelyn in the background
Sweet Ms. Leatha Gordon
Rick and friend
I think he had about 7 mini cupcakes and a few bites of hotdog! 
Original Residents, Mrs. Nash and Ms. Gordon
To every single one of my neighbors who came... THANK YOU! For those who couldn't make it, you missed a great party, hope to see you next year!! I'm already looking forward to the next event!

ps. Shout-Out to my husband who takes such great care of our yard that it's always ready to host and to serve as a great backdrop for pictures!

pps. An article my neighbor wrote that I want to keep track of: http://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/latest-columns/20140602-a-best-neighborhood-can-only-be-measured-in-personal-connections.ece

No comments:

Post a Comment