FOLLOW BY EMAIL:

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Cromwell Court Block Party; Memorial Day 2013

Cromwell Court recently had a Block Party for the first time in approximately 23 years! I'm not exactly sure when they stopped or what the history is (I was in elementary school in WI 23 years ago!), but one of the women who attended said she used to coordinate them and listed "23 years ago" in her comment. I've been dying for us to get together as a street for the four years (it became officially 4 years the last weekend in April! Can you believe that!?) that we've lived here, and I finally made it come together. (A huge shout out and thanks to the Smiths, without whom it wouldn't have happened!)

For the most part, the street is quiet, connected, and neighborly, but there just hasn't been large-scale get togethers as far as I can tell. We had a housewarming party in September of 2009, but we've not been aware of anything like it since then. (Or perhaps we've just been too busy having babies!) We truly have the neighborly relationships that I dreamed of having--ones that the 1950s are notorious for having, and it makes me never want to move. I love my house and I love my street. I love borrowing a cup of sugar (or vinegar or oil or a platter, etc.), helping mow a neighbor's yard, but getting everyone together so that names and faces and houses could all be better connected was important to me. The turnout was really good that I'm already praying it will happen again next year.

We set up in our yard and the Smiths' yard, each putting out as many tables and chairs as we had (or borrowed), rolled Seth's grill out front, set out different lawn games, and a table for the food. (This was the biggest "problem"--we need more tables for food next time.) The kids ate and played while the adults were able to mingle and either meet or get reacquainted. It was perfect weather and I think it's safe to say that everyone had a good time.

Graham was happy to be in the exersaucer most of the evening, which was awesome!
I think Austin might have had 3 brownies and 2 cookies that day. But hey, it was a holiday, right!? 
One of the original residents, Ms. Gordan.
The food table was seriously overflowing with yummy food.
Sheala hamming it up for the camera.
Some of the kids wandered over to the Hernandez backyard. Austin cannot wait til he's a BIG boy.
This kid sweats like nobody's business.
Overall, it was a very fun evening. The weather was great, the food was yummy, and it was the perfect end to Memorial Day.

2 comments:

  1. Sweating like nobody's business . . . definitely a Spofford 'little' man you have there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny you say that, because my dad sweats like crazy and I've been saying he takes after him! Guess he's just a little sweaty man. :-)

      Delete