We decided to start Graham in soccer this year just like we did Austin at that age not because we expect them to be professional or something someday, but we think it's a good chance to work with your team, learn how to cooperate, listen and obey authority and plus it burns tons of energy (well, it does it they actually run the field). This year, Austin's team from last year was going to stay a Rookie team which meant Austin was too old and most of the last year's team just handed down their spots (read: shirts) to younger siblings and Seth is the coach and I'm the Team Manager. lol (How has it been 2 years since Austin was Graham's age playing his first season?) Austin had briefly expressed interest in t-ball instead of soccer, but we preferred (for at least this year) to have 2adays every Saturday instead of Game Saturday for 20 weeks instead of just 8-10 weeks. Remind me to write down how we feel about that once the season is over.
Before the first set of games, I tried really hard to get some good pictures of the boys sitting on the porch. Austin seems to have lost his On Command Smile, so I had a hard time with him, but I did get a few decent ones.
Graham, the Spark
Austin, the Red Shark
And then a brothers shot, of course.
(Austin looks so old! gah.)
The first game the first week was a Sparks game. It involved A Lot of tears throughout the game from pretty much every player on the team. It's hard for them to want to run the field without their parent and the parents are not allowed on the field during the game. This meant that kids would wander off the field or come crying to the sideline because they didn't want to be out there. I was so excited we got the best ref for the first game because she's super good with kiddos so young (plus it was like seeing a friend, we used to go to The Village with her).![]() |
| I kept putting that foot out of the sun, but he moved it right back. |
Graham loved running the field and wasn't bothered by the fact that I was waiting for him on the sidelines and was only a little bothered that Seth was paying attention to everyone on the team, not just him, but was extremely bothered that people would kick his ball and not let him have a chance.
![]() |
| I know this is a sad picture, but the lighting was too good not to share. |
She lured him back out but it didn't last long.
This kid wears his emotions on his entire shirt, not just the sleeve!
Coach Seth hard at work, and then Graham saw a chance and sprinted out toward the ball from the sideline.![]() |
| Reed, Jay, and Graham headed toward the goal! |
![]() |
| Go Graham! I love Austin's face watching his brother's game. |
![]() |
| Little Brother chilling the whole time at back to back games. |
![]() |
| I love how they're both in this picture. Austin waiting to go in and Graham eating his snack. |
![]() |
| love my boy(s) |
![]() |
| Go Austin! |
This has now prompted my NEED to have access to the house if I'm dropped off sans keys. Seth's going to research getting the garage code thing to work. Anyways, I'm sharing that story in case y'all don't have access like that, please consider figuring out a way just in case. If there's an emergency and you can get home, can you get inside?
I didn't bring the camera that day, so I got basically no pictures. I'll be taking it again later in the year to try to catch some more fun action shots of my soccer players.
| I'm excited to see how this turns out from the professional. |
I asked on Facebook what people store/transport all the soccer gear in and I loved this option Cyndi suggested. First, I love that it's mesh and I can hose it off if I need to and also so that everything can air out. Secondly, it was $7 at Target, so I loved the price. It has a little exterior pocket I keep my phone in and it's large enough to store both pairs of cleats and shin guards plus the ball and sunscreen, a box of tissue (seems like we always need a tissue!), etc. I wanted to include it here in case anyone else has a need for something like this.
Are y'all doing any Spring Sports?




















I love this. Your photos of the boys are awesome! I used to coach kids soccer for years - all through high school and college. I just recently told Tim that I don't think I would want to coach 3 - 5 yr olds now. It is totally different now that I am a parent! I think I would be going nuts. haha.
ReplyDeleteSorry I hit enter too soon. I was just going to end that comment by saying - The guy holding his kid WHILE COACHING is amazing. End of story.
ReplyDelete