FOLLOW BY EMAIL:

Sunday, July 5, 2015

Independence Day Festivities 2015!!!

This year our 4th of July festivities were different than normal. Usually we're at Seth's parents house all day long and watch fireworks from their front yard (see this post from 2012). Last year we were with the Houston side to watch fireworks together at Aunt Jo's lakehouse (Kim had her gallbladder out that day). This year, Spencer's family went to Disney World with Kim and David, so we weren't able to spend time with them which meant we had the freedom to do whatever we felt like. I was sad to not spend it with them, but also excited because I have been wanting to go to the Farmers Branch Fireworks event for several, several years and finally got a chance to last night. It. Was. Awesome!

We got there about 7pm and Seth took the boys on the shuttle (basically a hay ride) from the parking lot and I walked with Carson in the stroller. We picked a spot (not far from some friends!) and got settled and Seth took the boys for food. They brought me back some lemonade (always a favorite) and cotton candy (another favorite!) before heading back out for nachos and cupcakes for the boys. Once we had all the food we wanted, we settled in to listen to the band and hang out. It had been pretty cloudy, so the temps were in the 80s which was very bearable. We had bug stuff on but I didn't even really see any bugs, which I was watching closely for because of Carson. The band that was playing was Inside Out and I am now a HUGE fan. They played the top songs that most everyone knows all the words to, and we sang and danced the whole evening. It was amazing! It reminded me of the dueling piano bar in Kalamazoo (Monaco Bay) where everyone's singing and swaying and dancing along to the music.

When we were leaving, I asked Seth if we could please go every year. I hadn't meant that we wouldn't hang out with the family because I assumed that the sets of fireworks would be on different days, but he informed me the shows are often all on the same day. I guess we'll just have to play that by ear each year and see if things overlap. I had a very, very good time, but we will be more prepared next time now that we know more of what to expect. We brought our picnic blanket and small cooler of drinks (no alcohol allowed), but I would bring our chairs and a bigger cooler of food. I don't mind buying concessions food (that's half the fun, I think), but having a watermelon or lots of other healthy snacks would fill the boys better. We ate dinner right before we left, but they still were hungry the whole evening. The other thing... Definitely get there by 7/7:30 if you want a good spot and plenty of space. Our spot was good, but we couldn't see the stage, so we only listened to the band, not watched it.

There really isn't a bad spot for the fireworks as they're set off and are low ones. Seth said they were 100-150 feet in the air (and are one of only a few shows in the whole state that has that kind). They play music in the background and they're pretty big and the show lasts quite awhile. They handed out these fans with a clear film to look through which made the fireworks even cooler looking. The four of us took turns sharing it and watching through the fan. No bug bites, no fighting, no tears and even Carson was a peach the whole time. I bought some glow flags at Target for the evening so we could avoid paying the super high prices at the park and they were worth the $1! Definitely highly recommend attending next year if you're in town and interested. The crowd leaving was very manageable, traffic wasn't much of a problem at all.

Before we went out for fireworks, we had to take pictures in our Nonnie outfits (she buys RW&B stuff for the boys each year). I took about 30 to get the following few pictures, but it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. The weirdest thing about the evening is that you're not allowed to bring a camera that has a detachable lens, so all the pictures from the FB fireworks event are from my phone.

Was checking lighting settings and his best face was on a too bright one.
Sweet Graham Face
Silly Austin.
When did his legs get so long!?
Silly Faces!
Sweet Brothers.
Seth made us an awesome dinner!!
At the Farmers Branch Historical park, ready for a fun evening and fireworks.
Baby Carson was a trooper!
cupcakes!
Fun with Flags:
He was soon fast asleep!
And then awake and ready to eat and party!
Selfie!

Time for Fireworks!
above and below, the same fireworks without and then with the fan filter
Video One of Fireworks.
Video Two of Fireworks.

The unfortunate part of the evening is that Austin threw up in his bed when we got home. I think he was so overtired that his hysterics caused it, but there was no calming him down until he was puking. Thankfully, Seth was able to help get everything cleared up and he hasn't gotten sick since. As a result, he and I stayed home while Seth, Graham, and Carson went to Daniel and Kristen's 4th of July party after the Park Forest parade in the morning.

Annual Park Forest Parade:
I have a similar picture from every year.
holding hands!
At our watching station in the shade!
Sweet baby Carson, all smiles!
Graham was trying to make Carson smile and I got a great shot of the dimple!
Austin loving on Carson
Waiting for it.
Here it comes!
our haul
flying the airplane we got from the parade
One more video that I can't get enough of!

No comments:

Post a Comment