FOLLOW BY EMAIL:

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Graham's Welcoming Party

Since Graham is 1) our second kid, 2) our second BOY, and 3) also born in October, we didn't feel comfortable having a traditional Baby Shower for him. (We had most things we really needed.) I was adamant, though, that we would do something to celebrate his birth/his life. When a good friend in our small group asked if we were doing something and offered to help us celebrate him however we were comfortable, we were I was thrilled. She had an Open House for the birth of her daughter and from that idea, we started brainstorming what would work for us.

I liked the idea of doing it after he was born, sorta Sip-n-See like, but the actual term "Sip-n-See" made Seth imagine pinkies and teacups--something that he wouldn't attend. Since I was also adamant that he would be present at the celebration (much like he was for Austin's family baby shower--this is his kid too, you know!), we needed to find a way to make it more male-friendly. I thought of how weddings sometimes have "bars" nowdays... CandyBAR, Baked Potato BAR, etc. And since Seth enjoys coffees and I enjoy hot chocolates, I thought of doing a brunch event where we could have Kuerigs available, some brunch foods, and just spend time with our friends and family in a mingling atmosphere. Then Kim (my MIL) was interested in helping as well as two neighbors, and suddenly Graham's Welcome Party was off and running!

We set the day and time--The Saturday before Thanksgiving, November 17th, 9-11am and hosted it at our house so that we didn't have to travel for it. I had intended on using my cleaning lady for a one-time clean, but that didn't end up working out. I was able to get the house satisfactory without her, though. (Though I was significantly more tired as a result.) And because we didn't have to travel, we had everything we might need/need to comfort Graham.

The hosts divided up decorations, food, etc. Kathy sent an Evite so the atmosphere of the event was already set--casual and relaxing. The Evite simply stated that Graham didn't need much, but would be happy to receive diapers and wipes and we were blessed by tons that day! We didn't want much in the way of decorations, and the things the ladies came up with were perfect.

Here are pictures from the event:


I loved this sign my MIL made.
This was Kim's idea and I LOVED it!
a joke.
3/4 of the hostesses: Kim, Sheala, and Kathy. Dani ended up having to work that morning.
Dani made the banner, and Austin redecorated with the balloons almost all morning! See the following:
After walking around with them all over, they usually ended up right there. But the picture is really of Austin. Do you see what he's doing in this picture? We could not move them far enough away. He stole and stole and stole!
A great, super yummy spread.
A bunch of coffees, creamers, sugars, hot chocolates, etc. It was perfect!
Graham was great all morning. We just passed him around the whole time and he seemed to love all the attention.
For reasons that are unclear, Ireland and Austin went walking around the house holding hands. I mean, around and around and around the circle part of the living area of the house. TOO CUTE!
Daddy trying to convince him to put the donut holes on a plate first.
With the number of kids at the event, and the general chaos that ensues when one has that many kids around, the entire event was good kid-wise, I think. This room was totally destroyed, but they played well, were happy, and no one got hurt!
lol
A new friend, Turner, and Austin. And the huge monkey.
Nonnie and Gramps with the Baby Of The Hour.
Three generations of Spofford Men.
Photo proof of Austin's hugs of the baby. He's ALWAYS doing this. 4-5 times a day. Seriously.
A gift from Nonnie and Gramps... a toybox filled with diapers and wipes and hangers--all very practical and necessary. (Aren't Kim's bows amazing!?)
This bear sings "Twas the Night Before Christmas." Yes, SINGS. I didn't even know it could be a song and now I practically have it memorized because Austin loves playing it so much!
the gifts
Welcome to the family, sweet Graham.

No comments:

Post a Comment