FOLLOW BY EMAIL:

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

And the survey says...

I have seen or read about several old myths regarding finding out the gender of a yet-unborn baby over the past few years. I hadn't paid much attention last time I was pregnant, but for some reason, this time I have spent more time thinking about the sex of the baby. These so-called Old Wives Tales had me intrigued so we decided to try a few out before The Sonogram to see what they predicted. It wasn't because we thought they were true or that we're superstitious or anything, we just thought it'd be fun. In order to find out how to do the tests, we used this site and this site. Here are the results:

1) Baking Soda Test. You pour some baking soda in a cup, just enough to cover the bottom. You then pee in said cup (the mom, not the dad ;-). If it fizzes, it predicts boy, and if it doesn't fizz, it predicts girl. For us, this predicted BOY. (Is that TMI?)

2) Hairline. This one says if the firstborn has a neck hairline that comes to a point, the next will be the opposite of that child. If the neck hairline goes straight across, the sex will be the same as the firstborn. For us, this predicted BOY.

3) Chinese Gender Predictor Chart. This test simply involves using a graph to find the mom's age at conception and the month of conception. I used this one. When I entered my information into it, answering those two questions, this predicted GIRL. But when I went to the chart and looked up my actual age at conception and the actual month of conception (rather than letting it calculate for me), it predicted BOY. (I looked it up last pregnancy too, and it predicted a boy then as well. Which, of course, is what we had.) The discrepancy between the results is caused by using lunar months versus something or other. Feel free to look it up if you want more information. ;-)

4) Pendant Test. You hang a pendant either over the mom's belly or over the mom's hand. If the pendant sways back and forth like a clock tick-tocking, then it predicts boy. If it moves in a circular fashion, it predicts girl. We did both the hand and my belly, and both predicted BOY.

5) "Feeling" Test. The last one we did wasn't even really something 'to do.' It simply suggests that the mom can tell what she's having just by listening to her intuition. I don't know about intuition or a gut feeling, but the morning sickness was very different this time compared to last time, so I was convinced that meant GIRL. Even though people had told me different pregnancies can affect you differently and that this didn't mean anything. It just felt too different to be another boy.

We could have done many more, but decided to stop with five. The results of the ones we did, though, were strongly in favor of us having another BOY.

And on Monday, May 14th, we had The Sonogram and It's a Boy! We're thrilled to be adding another boy to the family!!!

The angle showing The Family Jewels.

3 comments:

  1. So excited for you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!!! And I'm serious...whenever you feel like there is too much testosterone in the air...I'm kidnapping you and we're getting a mani/pedi :)Georgia can come too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eric says, "Jeez, it's huge!" :)

    ReplyDelete