FOLLOW BY EMAIL:

Sunday, November 2, 2014

2 and 4 Year Visits

We had quite the Halloween! The day started off with IHOP and then we went straight to MCNT for the boys' 2 and 4 year well visits. I had heard that the 4 year visit was particularly long/grueling, so wanted to have Seth there to help. And since we've cancelled any family vacations we might have taken, we decided to have him take random days off for long weekend staycations. So this worked out perfectly!

Here's Austin's visit:
weight: 38.6lbs; 72%
height: 40 inches; 42%
BMI: 17; 86%

I find his weight/BMI odd. He does not seem like a pudgy/heavy kid to me, but he's near the top for those, but short, so doesn't that mean he's short and fat? lol. I'm just kidding. He seems perfectly healthy and well-sized. I just find those percentiles puzzling!
I'm proud of how well he gets up and stands there with hands by his side.
We practice this often at home. So proud.
He's getting blood pressure taken and watching the numbers.
After a brief talk with the doctor, we had to go into the hall for a vision test and then down the hall for a hearing test. (He's not wearing pants because he was about to get 4 shots and it seemed like teasing him to put them on and take right back off again.) Dr. McColm always gives gloves and "flavor sticks" (flavored tongue depressors) for entertainment, so that's why he's got a purple glove on.
For the vision test, she pointed to a bunch of different shapes and Austin had to tell her what they were. First both eyes and then just the left and just the right. One shape was a "+" and when asked, he had no idea. It never occurred to me that he wouldn't know what it was. How funny!
For the hearing test, she inserted this thing into his ear and it would tell us whether or not his ear heard it. His left ear failed so we've been referred to an ENT. We haven't made the appointment yet.

Graham's visit:
weight: 26lbs; 23%
height: 35inches; 72% (WRONG)
BMI: 14.92; 8% (WRONG)

If you look closely at the stats, you'll see Graham measuring only 5 inches shorter than Austin. We know this isn't right. We can see when they stand next to each other that it's incorrect. Austin was measured with the thing on the wall and Graham by laying him down and measuring the paper, so something must be off with that attempt.

I love how good Dr. McColm is with the boys!
After all the tests were done, it was time for flu shots and then Austin's 4 immunizations. I held Graham and gave Seth the job of holding Austin down while she did two needles to each thigh. He screamed and bawled so hard that Graham started crying and saying "Auten hurt!" and then I was crying. (Full disclosure: I just cried reliving it by typing it.) His legs were sore the rest of the day and Seth did a lot of carrying, especially right after naps because they were extra sore from just laying around. Some ibuprofen put him right just in time for trick-or-treating, though! The good news is that he doesn't have to get any more until age 11!

Anyways, it was a full morning and despite the shots and the tests, both boys did well and only Austin's left ear is of concern. Everything else looks great.

No comments:

Post a Comment