FOLLOW BY EMAIL:

Friday, November 18, 2011

Adults Say the Darnedest Things!

The following are real conversations I've had with people. And you always thought it was kids who say the darnedest things! Enjoy!!!

Said when I was getting a new bra, about halfway through the pregnancy:
Lady Bra Fitter: "When are you due?"
Me: "October 23rd."
LBF: "Oh, you seem so big to be only halfway through. Is it twins?"
Me (not humored): "Nope. Not twins."
LBF: "Oh, well, are you sure? I mean, have they checked?"
Me (now really not humored): "Yes. They have checked. Not twins. Just fat, I guess!"
conversation ended abruptly, reason unknown

Said by a couple, first time having met them, when Austin was about 5 months:
New Couple: "Oh, he's so little. I remember when our son was that small. How old is he?"
Me: "5 Months. How old is your son?"
NC: "5 Months. pause... Austin is just so little!"
conversation topic immediately changed by my husband. what I didn't then say was "and yours is so fat!"

Said by a lady stranger in Pei Wei as we were walking past her table:
Lady Stranger: "Oh, he's so cute! How old is he?"
Us: "9 months."
LS: "And is he crawling?"
Us: "Nope. He's not interested in crawling or even staying on his belly long enough to attempt to crawl."
LS (to Austin): "Oh, well, you'd better hurry up or your math skills will suffer!"
conversation ended because we kept walking. too stunned to say much of anything in response.

Said by a lady stranger in El Fenix as we (Austin included) were walking past her:
Lady Stranger: "That little boy is so cute! His shoes are too small."
Mike roared with laughter and we all kept walking.

Said over the phone by a person with whom I was trying to make an appointment:
Appointment Maker: "Last Name?"
Me: "Spofford. S like Sam, P like Paul, O, FF like Frank, O, R, D like Dog."
AP: "And, your first name?"
Me: "Sena. S, E, N, A"
AP: "S,e,n,a. Sena?"
Me. "Yes."
AP: "Is that it what it says on your driver's license?"
Me (after a fit of laughter laced with a bit of sarcasm): "Yes! What else would it say?"
AP (in a not-humored voice): "I just needed to make sure that was your full name."
Me: "Oh. That's not what I thought your question implied. Yes, that's my full first name."
funny thing about that appointment is that I never showed up for it

No comments:

Post a Comment