In short, here's a before and after:
Now for the longer stroll through the before/after photos... As it was, it was playroom/changing room/clothes room/nursery. Both boys slept in this space as babies, but when Graham was about 6 months old, he moved next door to be sleeping in the other room along with Austin. We did this so that the big room, where we spent most of our days, could be open/available during play times and could host larger groups of friends. Seth painted it green when I was pregnant with Austin and it had been that neon-ish green ever since then. Most of the art is from that time as well. And because it was a multi-purpose room, we simply called it The Green Room. Here are some pictures of it as it was for the last year or more:
| This clock was visible from the hallway, and I still look there to check the time when I'm walking past! |
| I made that height chart from an old closet door. |
![]() |
| A talented friend made the birth stats things and K&D bought us this pottery barn book case which we LOVE. |
| The crib used to be under the names and table was under the birth stats. |
| Ask me sometime about the funny story that goes with Graham's name art. |
During the remodeling, the toys had to go somewhere, and that somewhere was our front room!
My biggest dream, that really got me started on this journey, was wanting a built-in shelf in that nook in the wall in this room. It's about a foot deep and nine feet long which makes it hard to use. I wanted that wall flat for putting headboards against, etc. If you were to put a table next to the bed, there'd be useless dead space behind it. So, after looking online at Houzz and talking it over with Seth, we agreed it was a good idea. We have built-ins in almost every room and really like all the automatic storage it gives us. (I believe one can never have enough storage.) I wanted this to look like it was always here, built in 1959, so I found the bins I wanted, sketched out what I wanted the shelf to look like, and Robbie made it come to life! Seriously, when he brought it over, I exclaimed "it looks just like I drew!" Which made him chuckle, but to me, it's just shocking to make a drawing come to life from wood. I wouldn't have the first clue! And it blends in so well, now I can't imagine the space without it.
In addition to the built-in and bead board, I also had them install another outlet on that wall. There was one on the right side of the nook, but not the left, and since this was a permanent thing, I wanted to be sure to think ahead. Now they both can have lights or alarm clocks on their side.
A few things about the built-in... I wanted holes in the top and center shelves so that cords could drop through. I wanted 8 bins on the bottom with four shelves on top, eating up the remaining space. That is, I told him how big I wanted the bottom ones and he made the top ones whatever inches remained, while keeping it below the windows. Seth wanted the edge to have a nice trim piece all over instead of just being the edge of the board. The bins slide out super well which means the trim pieces are as they should be, the holes are perfect, the extra outlet is totally money well-spent and the bins fit perfectly! Seth also wanted it to be super sturdy since we have climbing boys, and to prove it, Robbie climbed right up on top of it. (The only minor issue is that it was too long to come down the hallway, so it had to come in through the window! But that's no matter now because it's a permanent fixture in this room.)
The only current negative is that the changing table is in our bedroom because the toys and my chair and the dresser are all that fit in the new playroom which is smaller than the Green Room was. But that's only until Graham is potty trained which is hopefully the end of this month.
| before it was installed... |
| Everything's installed and blue is going on! |
And here's the after:
| Austin's bed is just a mattress on the floor. |
| I've had most of this art sitting in the closet for years. |
| I love having talented friends! Keeley made these population signs. |
They're printed on thin metal.
Keeley also made these new birth stat signs!
![]() |
| Another awesome thing talented friends have done. Melody painted this for us. |
![]() |
| showing lampshade and cord hole |
|
|
| Bought the rug used for $5. |
ps. If you want Robbie's number, let me know! He's currently busy on our bathroom, though. ;-)







Looks SOOO good!!!
ReplyDelete