FOLLOW BY EMAIL:

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Feeding into Friendships... The WHY.

The following blog post is taken from several sources, some of whom aren't Sena Spofford, but who can get the point across much better than I can.


First up: Mark Crumpler; Peachtree Presbyterian Church, Atlanta, GA.
"'And Jonathan stripped himself of the robe that was on him and gave it to David . . . and even his sword and his bow and belt (1 Samuel 18:4 ).'

There is a powerful moment in the forging of friendship between David and Jonathan. We are told that the soul of Jonathan was 'knit' to the soul of David. That's very nice language - but we don't really know what that looks like. We can't see souls being 'knit.'

But the storyteller goes on to describe something we can see. Jonathan gave his robe to David, and then he gave him his sword. If we back up into the story to 1 Samuel 13 we learn that no one in Israel had a sword except Saul and Jonathan. When the typical Israelite was called to battle he went to his tool shed, wrenched the blade from his plow or found his axe. There were no blacksmiths in Israel. The Philistines had a monopoly on the iron market, specifically to deprive the Israelites of good weapons for war (1 Sam. 13:19-22 ).

When Jonathan gave David his sword it was much more than a mere gesture. Maybe Jonathan had more than one sword. We don't know. What we do know is that among the Israelites, swords were very rare. Only the King and his son had one. And when Jonathan gave his away, he made himself profoundly vulnerable to David.

Friendship grows best in the soil of trust and vulnerability. Friendship by definition calls us to entrust ourselves to someone else. We commonly speak of this as "opening up." We experience that vulnerability by what we share - a piece of our story, an honest opinion. We don't literally hand over our sword, but we feel like we've given away something that could come back to hurt us. And the truth, is we probably have. But apart from trust and vulnerability we have acquaintances, not friends."


Next up:Dr. John Townsend, "How to be a Best Friend Forever"

"In these situation, friends are more like what I would call "companions." That is, they are people you are close to, but the purpose of the relationship is more about going through life with someone, floating down the river in a connected state. There is a true closeness here and a lot of good exists in that attachment. But what is missing is that companions don't really impact our lives; they are on the periphery of it. They may be a sounding board and someone to talk with about what's going on at home and at work, but there is no real "ask" or "give" involved. They are not central to the decisions and choices we make in life."


Lastly:
One of my goals for this year is to feed into friendships. Intentionally. Those that I consider 'Friends' rather than, to borrow a term, 'Companions.' Life has plenty of companions, and that is fine, but I'm interested in feeding into those who do impact my life. Who do ask things of me and of whom I ask. And not in a tit for tat way. I want to ask and know that though it might be a hindrance/bother/something to that person, that they will do it with a glad and willing heart because they know I'd do the same. I don't want to worry that they're keeping score of how many favors I've racked up.

I feel like 2010 was the Year of Being Pregnant. A surprise that took many, many months for me to come to grips with. And then 2011 was the Year of Becoming a Mom. A transition that took its toll on me in myriad ways, some different, and some the same as in 2010. And now that I'm in 2012, I finally feel like I can come out of the cave I've been living in. I'm ready to give of myself to my friends. I hate how much 'taking' I've been doing over the past several years, and this goal is a goal of righting that. For my friends. For those that have been giving to me over the years without so much as a hint to the tally of favors. You know who you are. There's a sword coming your way. Be ready for it! :-)

6 comments:

  1. Your personal application at the end had me laughing out loud (sword coming at you, in particular), but I do, in all seriousness, think that the concept of friendship is one that seems to have been obscured in our culture. The blurbs you used really capture that, and I am glad that you put words on something that I've been noticing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John and I have only informally talked about our goals for the year. We plan to talk more at dinner tonight actually -- this is good timing. Regular exercise is definitely on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot ever start a blog of my own because I cannot ever do one as well as you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AM and Sarah... You guys are TOO sweet. Thank you for the amazing compliments! Love you for it.
    Heather... good! There's no time like the present to start evaluating life and making progress towards those things deemed as most important to y'all. AKA goals.

    I forgot to add to this post that another important piece to me going forward is honesty. If you ask me for a favor, and it's going to cause me to go out of my way in some regard, I want to be able to tell you that. (AND I want you to be completely honest with me in reverse circumstances!) And then I'll go about doing said favor with a joyful and willing heart. Just because I'm being honest about how it might or might not impact me/my plans/my whatever doesn't mean I don't want to do it. The favors I hope to get asked are like that. Isn't that what a favor is? Asking someone to go out of their way for you? Otherwise it wouldn't be considered a favor, right? And the friendships I'm hoping to intentionally feed into are those that require complete honesty and openness. Nothing hidden around here. If there is, then we're back to being companions. Which is perfectly fine, but is a completely different level of relationship in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Sarah, my blog will never be as good as yours. I'm ok with that because I actually use your blog to inspire me to better my own. I hope you don't mind :). This post really hit home with me and because of this post I am also re-evaluating my friendships and companions. Thank you so much for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tina. Thank you SO much for such a sweet compliment! Cannot wait to reconnect with you, and follow your family's adventures through your new blog. (Which I'm sure will be great!)

    ReplyDelete